The two most important decisions you’ll make when selecting carpeting will affect appearance, performance, and longevity. Learn the pros and cons of each, and you will be guaranteed to choose a quality rug that will last for a long time.
Fiber: The rug’s foundation
Fiber is the material from which the yarns are made, and they come in natural and synthetic versions. Both are excellent choices, and what you decide will ultimately depend on how much you value specific characteristics. While there are acrylics and blends, the five most commonly selected are wool (a natural) and synthetics, including nylon, polyester, olefin, and Triexta.
Style and pile
You’ll hear the words “carpet pile” a lot in our carpet store, but it just refers to how the yarns are looped through the backing, i.e., style. They can either be left entirely uncut, such as level loop and Berber styles or cut into various lengths. These include:
1. Cut-pile: short, even yarns with the ends exposed.
2. Saxony: a cut-pile with longer yarns. The plush version shows footprints and other markings so that it might be best for low-traffic areas. The textured (i.e., trackless) version does not show marketings, so it's suitable for any level of foot traffic.
3. Shag: a high pile with long, loose fibers. Requires extra TLC to clean, so best for low traffic areas, like the bedroom.
4. Frieze: Also a high pile, but the yarns are shorter than the shag and so tightly twisted they curl. This has a casual look and is great for family rooms.
5. Low pile: These rugs have short, tightly woven fibers and are easier to clean and durable. They are often used in offices.
6. Cut and loop: Fibers of various heights create patterns such as geometrics and fun pin-dots.
Operating since 1997, Tuckers Carpets is known for high-quality products and superior installation and repair services. Learn more about carpet floor covering and our other products and services. We’re in Wilmington, DE, convenient to Newark, Glasgow, Pennsville, and Claymont. Come to experience the difference and get a free quote.